Sunday, September 21, 2008

Introduction

In 1985, former circus promoter Dave Hundley and record store owner Tony Rifugiato put their business savvy and love for music together to form No Clubs! Productions in the Tampa/St.Petersburg area of Florida. It began with a Suicidal Tendencies show, and for the next 2o years Dave and Tony would be responsible for bringing some of the best independent (some soon to be megastars) bands to the Bay Area scene.

Tony and Dave produced concerts from bands in their earliest stages, from Jane’s Addiction, the Replacements and the Red Hot Chili Peppers to punk legends Black Flag, Gang Green, Social Distortion, and the Circle Jerks. If the music was outside of the mainstream at the time, they would make sure everyone knew about it.

I was a 21 year old struggling semi-punk rock college student when I started working for No Clubs! in January, 1986. My best friend Jeff Jewhurst was the bass player in Belching Penguin, a now somewhat legendary punk band in central Florida, and I had designed various art work for the group, from creating their logo to making some of their show bills. Jeff had recommended me to Tony when he needed a flyer for an upcoming Black Flag show, and the end result was the beginning of a relationship that would span many years. I became the official flyer designer for No Clubs! and would continue to create over 50 pieces during my time with them, making myself known in the process as the “flyer guy”.

Beyond the satisfaction of my artwork getting an audience of thousands, working for No Clubs! had many other perks for a 21 year old music lover. Tony and Dave always tried to keep their overhead low and often worked with a skeleton crew. That meant I could often talk my way into working for the evening for limited payment, which usually meant the chance to see a great show for free, and on special occasions, the ability to meet and work with artists that I liked and/or admired. If you showed an affinity towards a special band, the opportunity to meet them was always presented. Tony and Dave were cool that way. From accidentally being Glen Danzig’s pimp, Taco Bell excursions with Flea, to being knocked out cold on stage at a Suicidal Tendencies show, I had the good fortune of racking up my share of great rock and roll memories.

If you’re reading this now, it means I’ve finally decided to share some of my stories. It’s been long overdue. Working for No Clubs! perpetuated a life long love of music, and writing about my various musical adventures is a love letter to my youth, and a big fat shout out to whoever or whatever outside force us gave ears and sound and the ability to rock and roll.

5 comments:

mary ann said...

Oh, good for you! I'm already a loyal reader.

stuporfly said...

Can't wait for the stories to unfold. I can almost feel the broken glass beneath my feet.

Unknown said...

were you the tallish "gay" kinda looking one at the shows? I thought he looked like an artist.

Andi Sumpter said...

If I had to guess which of my former bosses wrote the comment above this one, I'd put my money on Dave.

He always wished I was gay, I could see it in his eyes.

Eydie said...

Hey, it's Eydie from Podbop and MySpace. This first post really made me nostalgic!

I didn't arrive in Tampa Bay until 1993, and didn't start writing about music until 1994. Tony was so quick to help me out, giving me contact info at labels of bands who he was bringing in. Later, when those guys started running the State Theatre, I remember chatting at the standing-only bar with Dave whenever shows weren't particularly busy.

I'd heard that the No Clubs duo stopped running the State and/or Daddy Kool(remember when it was in Sarasota?). I don't know for sure, though.

A lot of my friends were in bands you probably didn't get to see. Their old bands, if any of this sounds familiar, include: Multi-Color House; Parade In Paris; Catherine Wheel; and now I'm blanking :) Oh, didn't Billy Corgan live there for like a minute?

I can totally envision everything taking place at Janus Landing, or that bar/club that was along the stage-side that turned into a Cajun restaurant (T-T). Darn, why can't I remember anything today?

Look forward to more of your posts!